- Structural and practical identifiability analysis
- System identification
- Bayesian inference
- Particle filtering
- Quantitative feedback theory
- H-infinity theory
- Linear matrix inequalities (LMIs)
- Fractional order systems: modeling, simulation and identification
- Battery systems, Networked control systems, Wireless sensor networks.
- Post-Doc Research Assistant, Supervisor: Prof. David Howey, University of Oxford, UK, (March 2014 - August 2015).
- Visiting Researcher, Supervisor: Prof. Roman Genov, University of Toronto, Canada, (July 2015 - September 2015).
- Post-Doc Researcher, Supervisor: Prof. Mehrdad Saif, Simon Fraser University and University of Windsor, Canada, (April 2009 - June 2012) (January 2013 - February 2014).
- Post-Doc Researcher, Concordia University & TDE Techno Design, Canada, (July 2012 - October 2012).
- PhD student, Supervisor: Prof. Martin Hayes, University of Limerick, Ireland, (May 2006 - January 2009).
- Electrical Design Engineer and Project Manager, Niroo Research Institute, Iran, (September 2004 - February 2006).
- UK's Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), (Mar. 2014 - Aug. 2015)
- Best teaching evaluation, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Windsor, Canada, (Summer 2013)
- Mitacs Accelerate Scholarship, Canada, (Jul. 2012 - Oct. 2012)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada, (Apr. 2009 - Jun. 2012) (Jan. 2013 - Feb. 2014)
- 36,000EUR Ph.D. Research Scholarship from Science Foundation Ireland (SFI), Ireland, (May 2006 - Jan. 2009)
- 7,200CHF Visiting Research Scholarship from Laboratoire d’Automatique, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, (May 2007 - Oct. 2007)
- 10,000DKK Visiting Research Scholarship from Center for Embedded Software System, Aalborg University, Aalborg, Denmark, (Feb. 2007 - Mar. 2007)
- Student Award (second rank), Faculty of Electrical Engineering, K.N. Toosi University of Technology, Iran, (2001)
- Simulation and design tools: Matlab, PSIM, LTSpice, Altium, PSCAD
- Programming languages: R, Matlab, C/C++, TinyOS, RSLogix for PLCs
- Hardware: Electronics and PLC
- Battery management systems, University of Windsor, Winter and Summer 2013
- Advanced Mechatronics, University of Windsor, Summer 2013
- Modern Control, Simon Fraser University, Winter 2010
- S.M.M. Alavi, A. Mahdi, P.E. Jacob, S.J. Payne and D.A. Howey, Identification of fractional order systems with applications to batteries: Part 1: structural identifiability analysis
- P.E. Jacob, S.M.M. Alavi, A. Mahdi, S.J. Payne and D.A. Howey, Identification of fractional order systems with applications to batteries: Part 2: practical identifiability analysis via Bayesian inference
- S.M.M. Alavi, A. Mahdi, S.J. Payne and D.A. Howey, Structural identifiability of battery equivalent circuit models [download].
- S.M.M. Alavi, S. Fekriasl, and M. Saif, Development and application of multiple faults detection and isolation in power electronics systems.
- D.A. Howey and S.M.M. Alavi, Rechargeable Battery Energy Storage System Design, in Handbook of Clean Energy Systems, Ed. J. Yan, Vol. 5, pp. 2801-2818, 2015.
- M.F. Samadi, G.A. Nazri, S.M.M. Alavi, and M. Saif, Diagnostics of Lithium-ion Batteries: A Control Perspective, Chapter 12 in Lithium Batteries, Materials, Design, and Application, John Wiley, 2014. (in press)
S.M.M. Alavi, M.F. Samadi, and M. Saif, Diagnostics in Lithium-Ion Batteries: Challenging Issues and Recent Achievements, in Integration of Practice-oriented Knowledge Technology: Trends and Prospectives, Ed. M. Fathi, pp. 277-291, Springer, 2013.
- S.M.M. Alavi, C.R. Birkl and D.A. Howey, Time-domain fitting of battery electrochemical impedance models, Journal of Power Sources, 288, pp. 345-352, 2015. [Download]
- S.M.M. Alavi and M. Saif, A QFT-Based Decentralized Design Approach for Integrated Fault Detection and control, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 20, Issue 5, pp. 1366 - 1375, 2012. [Download]
- S.M.M. Alavi and M. Saif, Fault Detection in Nonlinear Stable Systems Over Lossy Networks, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 21, Issue 6, pp. 2129-2142, 2013. [Download]
- S.M.M. Alavi and M. Saif, Fast State Estimation Subject to Random Data Loss in Discrete-Time Nonlinear Stochastic Systems, International Journal of Control, Vol. 86, Issue 12, pp. 2302-2314, 2013. [Download]
- B. Labibi and S.M.M. Alavi, Inversion-free decentralised quantitative feedback design of large-scale systems, Interntional Journal of Systems Science, 2014, DOI: 10.1080/00207721.2014.951523. [Download]
- S.M.M. Alavi, M. Saif, and B. Shafai, Accurate State Estimation in DC-DC Converters Using a Proportional Integral Observer (PIO), IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE 2014), (Accepted).
- S.M.M. Alavi, M.F. Samadi, and M. Saif, Plating Mechanism Detection in Lithium-ion Batteries, By Using a Particle-Filtering Based Estimation Technique, Proc. American Control Conference, 2013. [Download]
- M.F. Samadi, S.M.M. Alavi, and M. Saif, Online state and parameter estimation of the Li-ion battery in a Bayesian framework, Proc. American Control Conference, 2013. [Download]
- S.M.M. Alavi, M. Saif, and B. Shafai, State Estimation in Discrete-Time Nonlinear Stochastic Systems Subject to Random Data Loss, Proc. Asian Control Conference, 2013.
- S.M.M. Alavi, M.F. Samadi, and M. Saif, Estimation of Lithium Transport Rate in Lithium-ion Batteries - A Particle Filtering Approach, Proc. of the 2012 IFAC Workshop on Engine and Powertrain Control, Simulation and Modeling (E-COSME12), pp. 116-121, 2012.
- M.F. Samadi, S.M.M. Alavi, and M. Saif, An Electrochemical Model-Based Particle Filter Approach for Lithium-Ion Battery Estimation, Proc. 51st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC12), pp. 3074-3079, 2012.
Seyed Mohammadmahdi Alavi (Mahdi Alavi)
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant Department of Engineering Science University of Oxford From March 3, 2014 to August 25, 2015.
I moved to Duke University, Durham, NC, USA. This webpage is not updated!
My contact address could be found from the following pages. [Personal webpage] [Google Scholar]
Interests: Control and estimation theory and applications
Honors, Awards & Scholarships:
Publications since January 2012 [Full list]
- View recent blog entries
- Member for
- 3 years 1 month